Monday, March 28, 2011

Croton reduction linocut 6, final print

Croton reduction linocut, final print
This was done a couple of days ago, the prints are dry and packed away already. I'll take it out and look again in a month or two. I'm not sure if I prefer the last one with the brown-red ink, before the black was added. I toyed with the idea of stopping the run and letting it stay as it was; then went ahead, thinking that's what I planned, let me see it through. With future prints I will a) improve the registration system to reduce the number lost during the process, and b) when in doubt keep a few back at the penultimate stage. However I doubt that this exact situation will arise again.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mary, I think the addition of the black layer adds depth to the whole image. This is really successful. I have enjoyed sharing your journey very much.
Best wishes
Claudine

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,
You've made it! I agree with Claudine re the black layer which gives impact. As a on-artists it's been fascinating to me to see how the process works.

Catherine

Anonymous said...

Oh - my spelling which I can't edit! I meant non-artist.
Bye for now,

Catherine

Susanna Sweeney said...

The last layer brings the whole thing to life, Mary. great work. I can imagine the hours upon hours involved in all the cutting!

The bike shed said...

I like the addition of the black too

Mary Adam said...

It's definitely growing on me now and glad I did the black after all, thanks for the support.

Re surayamam's comment -- I made the first sketch on Feb 3rd, two days after sending off the assessment box (no results yet), and have been working on it steadily since then, probably about 6 to 8 hours a week, overall maybe 40 to 50 hours. The time was approx half and half each for the preliminary work and cutting/printing. Several other small projects on the go as well. Have just uploaded all the sketches and studies for this to the OCA website.

Unknown said...

Great to see the process from start to finish. Love the final run and agree that the black really works. Well done Mary - you've spent ages on it, but it was well worth the effort.

roberta said...

Hello Mary, sorry it's taken me ages to respond to your post on the final layer of the Croton print. I love the colours and have enjoyed seeing it emerge in its fullness. The background marks have taken on a lovely rich quality that for me enhances the main image. And the weaving in and out of colour contrasts in the leaves themselves give a feeling of movement to it. It seems well worth the time and effort, so I'm glad you are warming to it now!
Roberta