Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lettuce

Nothing else to post so here's half of an iceberg lettuce.


Pencil in 8-5 x 11" sketchbook

[Countdown: Empty pages remaining in main sketchbook = 29]

I'm going to miss this sketchbook when it's full. I've been drawing in it regularly for a year and it's jam-packed with both sides of the pages filled. I'll be moving on to an A3 sketchbook by Utrecht, hardcover with recycled paper of a lovely oatmeal colour and about half-full. This has a whole mish-mash of stuff in it, some research-type stuff and some real sketches. But the real sketches are mostly stuck in. I just don't seem able to manage the A3 book outdoors, it's really unwieldy. So what I've done a few times is to cut out the pages and stick them back in afterwards. What I've learnt from this is that A3 sketchbooks are fine for working outdoors as long as they're spiral bound.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice drawing Mary, I've still got to get into my sketchbook this year, time prevailing. I too find spiral bound easy to use outside as they give you an instant drawing board, however I also like hardback and the freedom of drawing over two pages for one image. A3 is large for outside I think.

Unknown said...

Hi Mary,

Nice drawing, I have been doing an abstract class recently and realise that even the most every-day objects are worth drawing. It must be very satisfying to fill an entire sketchbook; I have lots hanging around half full. Why I start a new one without filling up the last I do not know. Good tip about the A3 book, but it is still nice to have A2 when you open a bound A3 book to full width.

Best regards

Claudine