Friday, July 22, 2011

Tree, Chaguaramas 5

Mary Adam, Tree, Chaguaramas
Not how I envisioned it but this is how the final print looks (but no two are identical). I cut a new block for the grey because the previous one had thrown off the registration. Unlike a reduction cut I still have the blocks and may try it again with variations in the colour, this isn't quite what I was after.

Enlightenment

It's such a wrench to sell books but it must be done,  Having a quick re-read of some sold books before they go on their way, this passage from Immanuel Kant (1724--1804) strikes me as fresh and direct and relevant  -- must be something wrong with me.
"Enlightenment is man's release from his self-incurred tutelage. Tutelage is man's inability to make use of his understanding without direction from another. Self-incurred is this tutelage when its cause lies not in lack of reason but in lack of resolution and courage to use it without direction from another."
(In The Art of Art History: A Critical Anthology, ed. Donald Preziosi, 1998, OUP).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very thought-provoing quotation Mary. Worth more discussion I think.

Unknown said...

I like the print a lot. the colours are unexpected and work well, though it would be interesting to see how it works in other colour ways also.

I agree with Catherine about the quote.

Unknown said...

Hi Mary,
I have been following the progress of this print and I think the end result is very successful and I like the fact that no two are identical. It is always so difficult to see ones own work without thinking of something else one could have done with it but I think it is worth you "owning" this one. I would be interested to see how it progresses if you try it again.

I too agree with the comments about the quotation. Is this the point that we no longer require validation of anything we might create? Does this mean that any work that is created under tutelage has no worth? I have been pondering on these questions for some time.

Mary Adam said...

Thanks Catherine, Eileen and Claudine. Apart from other things the inking on the print is uneven, and it varies a lot from print to print.

Glad you liked the quote, I wondered if it would come across as archaic. Do we require validation ... I really believe we have to be our own judges/critics first and foremost, all the way through, and that that needs to be nurtured, even if we are wrong some of the time, rather than a culture of dependency on the opinions of others. It's a fine line ...?

Carol Anne Stimpson said...

I think your tree print has a great dynamic. Works really well.